I've been pretty consistent about trailering out for a ride every weekend this summer. As much as I'd like to head out more often, horses are just one of my passions, and I'm happiest when I can balance my interests. Besides, with diesel prices where they are, I'm not as keen on venturing hither, thither, and yon.
I've enjoyed a number of miles in the Seneca Creek trail system since the trail clearing day with USFS in May. Unfortunately, storms have dropped a number of trees on trails that were "clear" a few months ago. The first half mile of Swallow Rock has been particularly hard hit, but hopefully our BCHA folks will get it cleared soon. What's wildest about the summer storms is that between my house and the trailheads I frequent, an EF-1 tornado touched down! Not a common occurrence in WV and even more uncommon over in these parts. Yikes.
Trail obstructions or no, we've made the best out of the summer and enjoyed our time on trail up there. I'm so fortunate to live so close to this trail system!
I also ventured to the trails on CVNWR once to introduce a new equestrian friend to them. We had a BLAST. K's riding style is a lot like my own, and it's so fun to have found a new friend who likes to both walk and move out on trail. She rides over 1000 miles a year across many states and all four of her horses (two RMH and two gypsies) are incredibly fit. Meeting her in August has been such a bright spot in my summer.
 |
| I told K to lead on this ride in CVNWR because it was her first time there. I wanted her to enjoy the glory of the trails with an unencumbered between the ears view. |
 |
| This bridge stood above the water, but one later on was partially under water. Beavers have really shifted the hydrology through here! It's also been nice to have a wet summer after two years of severe drought. |
 |
| The last few feet of the climb up Cabin Mtn |
 |
| Pictures at the top for all! |
 |
| Gidget sits for a few photos but then always has to come check on me. |
 |
| And back down again. |
 |
| Love riding with someone who takes as many photos as I do! |
 |
| Grif hates bridges. He always has and we'd worked on it for years, but then he had a very scary experience last summer(ish) and will never forgive bridges again. |
 |
| I'm grateful he'll follow other horses over. Otherwise, I have to lead him or ford streams. |
 |
| Tired girls! |
 |
| After a year of being so chill with minimal to zero sass, Grif was spun up this morning. He was the only short-ears at Johnny Meadows. Sonya has a mule now. When we arrived though, there were three other mules on the high ties. Grif was Very Uncertain about this. |
 |
| Sonya's mule likes to move OUT at the walk. Standing still is DUMB. |
 |
| These dogs are so good! |
 |
| Excellent summer for foraging. Between this day and another, I foraged over 5# of lionsmane mushrooms. |
 |
| Day 1 haul, which I shared with Sonya. |
 |
| It makes fabulous "crab" cakes. I also dried a ton to use in various ways later. |
No comments:
Post a Comment