Sunday, May 22, 2016

Q's History

Last week I got a wild hair to finally try to find out what both of my horses' true backgrounds were so far as their breeding went. I receive so many questions about that aspect of them and I've never been able to answer with any certainty. Obviously they're well-put-together, athletic, and have phenomenal temperaments, but I still can't help but wonder to myself what breeds they're composed of.

I reached out to both original owners of both horses as far back as I was aware.

Griffin's trail dead ended pretty quickly. The girl who originally had him (prior to friends of mine picking him up) was pretty young when she had him and unfortunately remembers nothing about where she got him from. Bummer. But I wasn't too surprised to hear this. I did ask if she knew what his breeding was and she said, "TWH, Arab, QH, paint". Well, that doesn't help too much! Still, not surprising.

Q's trail gained a lot more information though! 

I first called the cowboy I got her from. He remembered her and he remembered me and he noted again (as he had when I bought her) that he was happy she had found a good home because he really didn't want to take her to the slaughter auction. He gave me a name and number for the lady who gave her to him originally. He thought he remembered Q coming from around my home town. 

I found the lady on Facebook and sent her a message on there, waited a day or two, and then called her, as well. (What can I say, I prefer written correspondence to a phone any day. It's a lot easier to take notes and keep them when they originate as text than to take notes via phone conversation! I just can't write quickly enough it seems.)

She called me back in < 24 hours.

She was really happy to get an update on the horse after so long. She told me that one of her coworkers got Q as a 2 year old. She said she was spirited and obviously needed more time than the lady could give and needed her own person. She said Q went to the cowboy when she was 3 years old. She asked how old I thought Q was now, and I told her 10 based on vet's estimate based on her teeth. She told me she thought she'd be closer to 8 than 10. 

She told me that Q was a kicker; if another horse brushed up against her or near her backside she would strike out. I noted to the lady that I'd never observed that level of kicking behavior from her in our 4 years together unless a horse crowded her for a good while or in a very rude manner. (And oft times, she would give a warning hump of her back more than a true kick.)

When I asked about Q's breeding, she told me she was half Morgan and half Arabian. She didn't come from a breeder, but from a lady who had a Morgan mare and bred her to an Arabian stallion. She believed she was bred somewhere near my hometown. Go figure!

She was happy to hear from me and get an update on Q. She couldn't remember her original name (and my sharing that it was "Janni" on her original Coggin's didn't ring any bells), but she really liked her new name. She said getting a happy story update like this really brightened her day!

20160416_194727

Conclusion? I've got a Morab mare, which fulfills suspicions that many (hi, Nicole!) had all along. She may be a year or two younger than originally thought (really need to try to get several photos of her teeth to analyze), and she may have been from closer to home than I'd originally realized all along! 

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning finding out about this! After a weekend of weddings around mostly non-horse people, I'm thrilled to finally share the discovery with those who will understand my excitement a little more. 

I wish I knew more on Griffin, but hey, it is what it is! One mystery solved is better than none. 

21 comments:

  1. Pretty cool. I remember the feeling when Missy's original human found me on Facebook (and also took 2 years off her age).

    Q is such a cool mare and both her and Griffin are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potentially (and I say this because I want to get a better look at her teeth before accepting this new news) have had her age dropped twice now! I thought she was 10 when I got her and vet thought she was more like 6 or 7. So, if she went to cowboy at 3 and he had her on and off for a year, that means she was 4 when I got her and would be 8 now. So she's a 2008 model and not a 2006...

      Ms. Vet School, if I get good teeth photos, I'm sending them to you! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Very neat-it's always exciting to learn something new :) Digging the new blog design and layout btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! High praise from someone with your graphic design skill! =)

      Delete
  3. I knew she was a Morab!! Great you found out more info about her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Nicole noted the Morab before anyone =)

      Delete
  4. Cool! What nice little bit of history for her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great tidbit to finally discover

      Delete
  5. That's so exciting! Totally see the morab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If there’s any way you could get the lady to find out the name of the Arabian stallion I could at least look up his pedigree for you (if he’s registered with the Arabian Horse Association).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got another lead on the person who had her before the lady who gave me the above info -- if I can get that info I'll definitely let you know. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. How interesting!! And I can totally see it with Q too. I bet the woman you spoke with was tickled to hear how well she is doing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all so exciting. I'm so glad I finally reached out.

      Delete
  8. That is so cool! I definitely see Morgan in her. Love those stocky little horses.

    Did I totally miss that you have a new header?! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stocky horses: YES. Me too. It's something I love a ton about Morgans so I'm really over the moon about the fact that she's got Morgan in her.

      I rolled the header out rather quietly (a week ago), so everyone kind of missed it, haha.

      Delete
  9. Loooove the header, and I love what you've found out. One of the things I love about racehorses is getting to know their past, I always wish we could know everything about other horses too! (And rescue dogs! I'd love to know the past on Sonka and Lyra!) So cool!

    Griffin is awful well assembled for a mutt of a pony, the type of horse I'd be proud to call an American Warmblood. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yeah, I find myself wishing often that my horses had tattoos or freezebrands that made them easy to find out about. And YES to dogs! I wish it was easier with them!

      Haha, yeah, Griffin needs to earn a title this year doing something and then we can give him some kind of label. =)

      Delete
  10. That's so cool. I wish every horse came with paperwork about their history. It would make it so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so behind on commenting!!!

    You do realize this means you got Q at the same age as I got Lily? Lily was 4 when I bought her. Lily is only a year older than Q also. ;) It also means that you started to have your breakthroughs with Q's training at the same age as I had mine with Lily.

    Isn't that fascinating? The parallels continue!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so behind on commenting!!!

    You do realize this means you got Q at the same age as I got Lily? Lily was 4 when I bought her. Lily is only a year older than Q also. ;) It also means that you started to have your breakthroughs with Q's training at the same age as I had mine with Lily.

    Isn't that fascinating? The parallels continue!! :D

    ReplyDelete