Thursday, June 6, 2019

Delays and Disappointment

Meh.

That about sums up my headspace since Monday afternoon.

Despite knowing full well that construction delays are very probable and basically guaranteed, I can't help but feel very disappointed and sad at the inevitable delay that I'm dealing with for the barn project.

20190531_131547
Photo from a happier moment last week
A very chill drinking ride with Staniel

This past Tuesday was supposed to be our start day. Well, actually, last Tuesday was supposed to be but it got pushed to this week. Well, I got a call on Monday around 3:30p from my excavator saying he ran into an unexpected issue (someone else's past error that he had to clean up) on one of his current jobs. He was really apologetic about it all, even though it wasn't something he had no control over. He shared that due to this setback coupled with his contracted obligations at my future office building, it was going to be 3 weeks or so before he could come up and start my project.

Cue: sad trombone music.

As he told me all of this, my face and body fell in disappointment. I know there is nothing I can do about it and I know it isn't his fault and I know these kinds of things are so expected with jobs like this. But it doesn't make it any less disappointing or make me feel any less sad.

Just. Meh.

I know everything will be okay in the end and it isn't the end of the world, but I can't shove off the feelings of disappointment and sadness right now, y'know? I was just so excited to see things Get Started. To see my literal life dream unfold before my eyes. And now, despite knowing it will happen (eventually) and knowing that my current feelings/thoughts are quite flawed and irrational, I just feel like I'm stuck spinning my wheels.

20190531_143853
Just the happiest little QH ears you ever did see

I'll pull myself out of this feeling of stagnation in due time. Though the blog may be a bit quieter than I hoped while I wait for this delay to pass. Hopefully I'll have more exciting updates in a few weeks...

19 comments:

  1. What a bummer. I'm sorry things aren't progressing steadily for you at the moment, but try to keep focusing on the positives <3 Hoping he can break ground soon for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed. He's bringing equipment up tomorrow and may try to work a couple Saturdays to help things along! 🤞🤞

      Delete
  2. Hang in there!!! You have every right to feel disappointed and sad. Nothing goes smoothly, but that doesn't make it suck any less when things come up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, blah. Today was better, but yeah... Still feeling the feelings.

      Delete
  3. It is so normal to feel this way when building your dream! My dad built our house and barn in 2014-2015 and there were hiccups along the way that made me feel so bummed out (probably doesn't help that I was pregnant at the time as well haha!). And I had to keep reminding myself to stop feeling so upset about something that was SO EXCITING! But having the idea in your head for sooooooo long makes it hard to deal when it doesn't go exactly as planned. I dealt with it all by buying way too much new stuff for the house and barn LMAO! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU for sharing this! It's really helpful to hear others experiences. =) You being pregnant during it all makes me feel like I really need to STFU lmao!!!! What a boss lady!

      Delete
  4. Delays suck. I have actually found the (indoor arena in our case) building process to be too stressful. I've turned over all charge of it to my husband and no longer have any idea of when anything will happen. Construction sucks. Contractors are basically incapable of doing anything on time or on budget and I hate all of them. Even when it's theoretically not their fault, I blame them for not planning better. I hope your project gets back on track soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that sounds super frustrating! But smart to transfer to your husband. My husband is a contractor - owns his own business - it can be super hard to plan things with the northeast weather and general accidents! So I'm pretty empathetic toward good contractors. There are definitely bad eggs, but they're not all that way. =) My excavator is one of the nicest people I know, he just ran abreast of some environmental issues no one could have planned for. Sucks for me, but it happens!

      Delete
  5. i'm so sorry :( feeling stuck and dealing with setbacks is the actual worst ugh. here's hoping tho that things get back on track asap and that time flies until you're really truly breaking ground in a big way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤞 For things moving forward quicker than my head fears they will.

      Delete
  6. Try not to let it get you down. Sorry to say, but it's possibly the first of many disappointing delays. My project start was delayed 4 months. It happens. You never know what even more annoying (or costly) situation you avoided because the timetable changed.

    Also - just want to represent for the contractors out there (I'm a landscaper) - coordinating jobs and schedules is tricky. Many factors are out of the contractor's control, weather being chief among them. Good contractors are booked up and busy because they're good. Contractors who are new to the business or area, or haven't got good reputations tend to have more flexibility and time. jmho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! 4 months! And yes, SO many things are out of the contractor's control! Dave, my husband, is a contractor. Owns his own small business here in the Valley. I'm very empathetic to the kind of troubles like this that crop up. And I don't blame my excavator one iota for it all! He's an incredible human and is still trying to get up here to help me out in a reasonable time frame despite everything. I think it helped that I didn't get mad at him at all. Just expressed my sadness at the way the cards were dealt and thanked him for letting me know as soon as he could - not many would do that! I'm just disappointed I'm living through the setback lol. I'll get over myself in another day or two. Just needed to sit with these feelings first.

      Delete
  7. I'd be disappointed too. What a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frustrating, but not insurmountable by any stretch fortunately =)

      Delete
  8. It's so hard being patient for something you want (and need!) so badly! I'm so sorry, and agree, construction is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd gotten better with that whole patience is a virtue thing...guess not! lol

      Delete
  9. Yeah, I hear you. I had to work around hunting season. Fortunately, he got his deer early. It will come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. That totally sounds like people around here!

      Delete
  10. I hate when stuff like this happens because you fell so helpless since it can't be controlled *hugs*

    ReplyDelete