Thursday, October 25, 2018

Blog Hop: Things I’ve Learned from Other Bloggers

The community of horse bloggers is a pretty amazing thing. It is especially amazing for someone like myself who lives in a rural area with limited resources/knowledge on most of the equestrian disciplines. The topics raised, journeys shared, and discussion generated from blog posts over the years has taught me an infinite amount, exposed me to more than I'd ever be able to otherwise, and has made me sit back and think critically about myself/my journey more times than I can count.

Sara started a pretty sweet blog hop outlining how she's been influenced and educated by members of this blogging community. Below are those who have helped jump start my knowledge and understanding the most in recent years.

: : : : :

1. Austen and Emma's no-nonsense way of writing up lessons and shows was the biggest catalyst for me getting over myself/my fears and really pushing forward to get lessons of my own and pursue some schooling shows. Lessons and competition - especially within eventing and dresssage - were things I've always dreamed of doing but just lacked the mental wherewithal to follow through.

Reading their straight-forward approach to analyzing lessons, clinics, and shows changed my whole mindset about lessons and competition. Prior to this, I would get so caught up in my own head, perceiving every tiny thing as such a huge personal affront when it absolutely wasn't. This in itself is odd because when it comes to my other sports - skiing, mountain biking, and climbing - I don't take things personally at all and often throw myself into the lion's den so far as critique and lessons go.

While it is incredibly difficult for me to find the time to make it to clinics, lessons, and competitions because of travel/finances, when I am able to make it out, Austen and Emma have been so very present and supportive of my endeavors. It's been amazing to finally fulfill my dreams of getting involved in these disciplines, but to have such incredible and supportive cheerleaders has made the experience significantly better.

---


2. Jen and Jan's dressage lesson and show write-ups have been paramount in helping me better understand concepts within dressage and have kindled my personal fire for the discipline. Previously, I was beyond intimidated by it. The way these ladies break it down and write about it just makes sense to my brain. I used to view dressage as this crazy-hard discipline full of jargon and concepts way beyond my comprehension. Despite competing at levels higher than I know I'll ever pursue myself, I read their training and competition write-ups and really get it. It's such a cool feeling to "ride along" with them based on their narrative alone. As a result of my increased comprehension of this discipline from their expertly written experiences, I'm now able to think more calmly and critically through things with my own horses.

---


3. Megan's posts about Mary Wanless and rider biomechanics absolutely fascinate me. I've been picking through Mary Wanless' book The Natural Rider for ages now, so these things aren't completely foreign to me. However, the way Megan writes up recaps from clinics etc. with Mary Wanless/her teachings has really helped me see the book and the concepts in a new light. I freaking love shit like that.

And, of course, Megan's posts on biomechanics are a great segue into bettering my dressage training. I've worked hard to change my own rider biomechanics the past two years, and these posts have really helped cement my comprehension and implementation of how I should ride and what I should be able to feel during certain movements. I think it is so very cool how the tiniest of changes - especially in the positioning of the pelvis - can completely revolutionize my riding.

---


4. I thoroughly enjoy following along with Teresa's journey with Carmen. Teresa picks apart her interactions and relationship with Carmen in a manner that is so very fascinating to me. Q, my mare, and Carmen are so very similar in personality-type and it's very interesting to read along and learn from the way Teresa handles such a sensitive horse. The parallels between the two mares jumps out at me every single post. Teresa's breakthroughs and setbacks with Carmen - and her complete honesty about everything along the way - have helped my relationship with Q so very much. It's really comforting to know that I'm not alone in my struggles with a Very Sensitive Mare.

---


5. Of all of the posts I've saved in Feedly over the years, excluding the bloggers listed above, Amanda and Olivia's have been pinned the most. Both have broached various thought-provoking topics over the years that have really made me step back and think about horses, training, trainers, and my thought-process on each of these in more depth. I love that each author has a way of triggering such a critical thought process in me. Of all the epiphanies I've had about horses/horse training, a large portion of them have come from the thinking I've done as a result of the posts these ladies have shared and from the discussion generated as a result of those posts.

: : : : :

Thank you, ladies, for all you've done to help me further my education and knowledge of all things equestrian.

8 comments:

  1. This blogging community is nice for so many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s wonderful how people you have never met can make such a big impact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww. Thanks for the shout out. Very Sensitive Mares indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw so many good ones <3 it’s been so awesome to get to know you thru blogging and then in person, I hope to see more of you in future seasons too, whatever may come!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I haven't read a couple of these so I will have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! So weird to think of inspiring people, but so glad to call you a friend and happy to always be there! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this blog hop! The blogging community really is a wealth of knowledge and kindness. I am routinely inspired and impressed with bloggers like yourself who walk a different horse journey then I do, and how you all handle the different challenges. Truly inspirational and eye-opening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww! It makes me so happy when others get something out of my write ups :)

    ReplyDelete