Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Lean Spring

I've reached a point where my drafts outnumber my number of published posts for the year. I get so close to publishing a post, only to have something change that makes the post a moot point so I drop it in favor of another. It's a negative feedback loop that really doesn't benefit much and it's high time I pull myself out of it.

The high elevation areas of West Virginia have finally emerged into spring weather. It appears, for now, that we may even be skipping out on our typical big April snowstorm. There's still time, but it certainly isn't looking likely with the extended forecasts. Can't say I'm too upset.

20190324_132840_008
Catching snowballs.

Winter, despite being mild all things considered, was hard on my horses. I've never been more excited for spring grass and the impending certainty of having complete control over their diets.

The hay at our boarding facility was of a dreadful quality this year. I've done what I can to mitigate, but to no great avail. Each horse is a solid 75lbs underweight this spring, though each has gained a considerable amount from my efforts!

This past weekend I took all three to the annual vaccine clinic. Each horse received a clean bill of health with a note that each needed 50-75lbs. Definitely not a surprise to hear!

Originally, I had hoped to take Q to No Frills later this month for our first competition since August 2016. Her conditioning has been going well and her body condition looks better by the week, though I will admit she's still a bit leaner than I've come to prefer. Ultimately, I decided that I'd see what the vet had to say at the clinic before making a decision on the ride.



While my vet agreed Q looked great fitness-wise, she didn't think that her weight was where it needed to be to tackle 55 miles in 2 weeks time. She said the 30 would be a better option. However, with a limited budget for horse competitions, I would rather reallocate the money toward a different 50 in the future. If I want to ride an LD distance, I can easily plan one on similar terrain on my own time.

So for now, I'll continue to pump Q (and the boys) full of as many calories as I can and maintain their fitness. Or, haha, in the case of Stanley, bring him back into some semblance of fitness!

IMG_20190406_142113_819
Fitness?! 

Stan, who celebrated his 18th birthday Sunday, has had a very lovely winter of nothing more than a few toodling rides here and there. This suits him just perfectly, if you ask him! A life of grooming, feeding, and cuddles is his definition of Best Life. He's trying to make sure I don't forget this either by increasing his cuddles daily and doing his best to keep Grif and Q away from me so he gets All of the Love. It's sort of adorable. But sadly for Stanley, his life of bliss is about to disappear in favor of legging him back up to trail fitness. Definitely not a hard life.

20190406_120318
Ribby with struggling topline = the state of all of my horses coming out of winter this year. Sigh.

Grif has been in light work most of the winter. I haven't been putting him under too much pressure since we don't have any competition goals in the near future. We're still going through the paces though and have been practicing a lot of dressage tests lately. I like that they help me to structure my rides better and he seems to appreciate me riding with so much purpose and direction (I don't blame him)!

Our biggest winter homework was to get him moving off my leg better. He's a lot better than he was a few months ago, though we certainly need more practice. Hopefully we get a lesson scheduled before barn building begins to get more feedback & homework.

As for barn construction, I closed on the land March 28th and am now in a waiting period until mid-late May when we're slated to break ground! It's both wonderful and horrible. Wonderful because it's nice to have this time to relax and not fuss over anything. Horrible because I'm eager and excited to bring the horses HOME, haha.

20190320_182416
Bring me home. Put me in my fancy barn. Feed me the things. Make me pretty. -Q, probably
Soooo excited for a dry lot so her socks don't get so dreadfully mud stained next winter!

I do still need to submit my plans to the HOA architectural committee, and I hope to get this taken care of within a week's time. My HOA president assured me it wouldn't take the allotted 30 days to review it, so I'm not too stressed about it all. Once my husband finalizes the drawings, I'll have everything I need to submit. Though this is easier said than done because in some regards, Dave is being more nit-picky about the building than I am! Which makes me giggle a bit.

Currently, he's trying to decide how he wants the siding to be. Originally, we were going to go with a hardyplank-type material, but now he thinks he'd rather do white oak board and batten like our house so the structures can match. (Yes, we're very lucky to live in an area where white oak is so easy to come by!) I honestly don't give a damn what is selected as long as it looks nice! Fortunately, Dave's attention to detail guarantees it will look nice no matter what, so I don't have much to worry about.

AdobeLightroom
King on his throne 

It's going to be a summer full of big changes in the best way. I'm eager for more warm days and nights into the future to facilitate these happenings. And I dunno, maybe also a summer of normal rainfall instead of another record breaking year? That would be nice. Fingers crossed!

22 comments:

  1. Boarding can be really tough since you are not in full control of the nutrition aspect. I know you'll get them back to where they need to be in no time. Congrats on closing on the land!!!! So happy for you to build your dream barn and have your horses home with you.

    Currently we are in the midst of a week long thunderstorm that is flooding every thing. Again. All the old timers are telling me it will be a dry hot summer but I don't know. It will not stop raining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your old timers are right!! I feel like we're due for a drought after all of these wet years. As bad as that can be for the vegetation, I am honestly not sure how much I would mind it lol. Would be a nice change for those making hay to have time to let it dry out without worrying that it will be rained on. Oof...

      Delete
  2. Spring has sprung! Your climate sounds similar to mine. Never sure when old man winter really has left...
    Hope you get some green grass soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always rears his ugly head right when you're ready to relax and call it summer!

      Delete
  3. I know the feeling of too many drafts and not enough complete posts - I have 8 from this year alone which is twice the number I've actually posted!

    Luckily your horses will be home before you know it and then you can manage them more to your preference! Also sending normal rain juju out into the universe, in NC I think we've had more rain in four months than we're supposed to get in an entire year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's good you're holding off for Q to compete. You'll have more fun if you're not fretting over her.

    I'm sure you have a plan for weight gain - but I got spicy fat feeding him Poulin minibites (forage extender). My BO started giving it to the ancient horse on her farm too and it's really helped pack weight on without putting strain on their digestive tracks ulcer-wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, totally! Past photos show that she's usually looking faaaanntastic by mid-May (usually fat lol) so I'm really optimistic that in the next couple weeks she's gonna look amazing. We finally got some rain and the grass throughout both counties is totally transformed.

      Thanks for the recommendation! I'm looking into several things currently and always appreciate hearing about options.

      Delete
  5. I've been giving my girls extra rations too this spring - it's been a long winter. Fingers crossed the grass comes in soon! So excited for you, moving them home is my dream too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grass totally transformed overnight on Sunday. We're suddenly living in an almost neon green world.

      Delete
  6. bummer about missing the 50 but that honestly seems like the best option at this point. here's hoping that the spring grass goes a long way to filling the deficit from this current situation! last year's weather wreaked such havoc on hay crops, all of our hay has been so so so crappy and to add insult to injury, board had to increase bc even tho the hay is shitty, prices have still skyrocketed ugh. hopefully this coming year will be different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG THAT IS AWFUL. I am so sorry you're having to deal with it. Tho it's nice to hear that it's been a bigger problem than just here. Misery loves company?

      Delete
  7. ha i wouldnt know what it was like to have horses under 75 optimal weight. I think Remus has kept his sophmore twenty even at the trainers. BUT OMG next year you will have them home for winter HOW great is that.

    My vet is of the opinion he would rather have them a bit skinnier coming out of winter than fat. SOOO maybe there is that. I think they will start filling out more soon. I agree wait till you and Q are both ready. can't wait! And i cant wait for your barn to start being built! YAY so many exciting things happening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I like your vet! And yes, I think she'll bounce back real fast. Considering she was in the work she was and was gaining considerable weight throughout, I'm super optimistic.

      Delete
  8. Irish will definitely be 75# underweight once the grass comes in because every spring he loses his mind over the new grass and won't eat hay. I am used to it now so don't even worry. He might not be that bad this year because the hay was really good last year.
    also, yes, the barn and house need to match. It's important. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really comforting to hear that he also loses his mind over the grass. I think our relatively mild winter made our horses think that in part for months.

      And LOL. I think Dave's of the same mind. As of yesterday, leaning very far in the direction of "matching".

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the closing! Don't know about up where you are, but here, board and batten can be a more budget friendly choice than hardiplank, especially if lumber is reasonable there. Also - from my research, smartlap (smartside) handles moisture better. Lots of anecdotal from local builders about hardiplank molding/mildewing/disintegrating...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smartside! Yes. That's the thing we were originally looking at! But now board and batten seems to be what we're gonna go with. Thank you so much for all this info - and very interesting about the hardiplank doing poorly.

      Delete
  10. It's been a shit year for hay on the east coast. So tough to find good supply and quality. Damn all that extra rain. Glad spring seems to be coming so your ponies can get back to optimal weight. Sad I'll be missing you at No Frills as a result though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww poop. Sorry to miss you, too! I'm definitely planning for our new RBTR (where the final R is now "Ridges" instead of "Rivers" since we had to move the ride). And I miiiight make it to another ride before...things are still in the air.

      Delete
  11. Q's trot is so bouncy and cute! I think she looks good, but it never hurts to wait, an early season 50 can take a lot out of them.

    And I think your posts are always well thought out and comprehensive, so if you want to keep on the same path (even with the abandoned drafts), that is great. Or do what I do: have a thought/ride/event/silly thing, just post randomly. Not sure which is better, but they both seem to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I need to reframe my mind around some shorter posts. As a science-based writer who is always structuring work based on rational, thought-out arguments, it's sometimes hard to just spit out something short and simple without all the bells and whistles lol! But would definitely be better for my brain to do that, I bet. =)

      Delete