Monday, April 6, 2020

Spa Day for the Horses

Last weekend, the weather was beautiful. Some of the first truly warm days we had this spring. It was the perfect time to take advantage and give the ponies their first baths since last fall!

20200329_152138
Tools of the trade for the afternoon

Other than Grif, who is quite Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde about grooming, the horses really seemed to enjoy the extra attention. I mean who wouldn't love a full body massage coupled with a bubble bath?!

20200329_143125
A clean, happy Staniel returned to his precious hay.
20200329_144115
So skeptical of my BS. He totally kicked that bucket over before things were said and done, too. 
AdobeLightroom
Trojan Pony: A Bathtime Beauty. Norah definitely was clutch in getting this photo lol

Stan was the only good boy who didn't roll post bath. Q rolled on one side only. And Grif? Well, I knew that was a losing battle so I put a cooler on him and let him run amok in the yard grazing, hoping the new grass and luxury of grazing would distract him enough. Not so much, but fortunately the cooler took the brunt of the roll so he's still relatively clean for a grey horse.

20200329_152247
I had set him up grazing in the backyard but he decided the front yard would be better
20200329_152248
And then when I went to fetch him to bring him in for dinner, he scurried away from me
20200329_152249
So I just took his photo as he marched away, not wanting to encourage his little keepaway game any more than necessary

I finally ran out of my Cowboy Magic detangler and opted to order EquiFuse Gleam after reading multiple positive reviews in blogland about it. And, WOW! I love it. It smells amazing and definitely works better and with less required to make a big difference. Big plus that it works amazingly well on wet hair. The CM required inordinate amounts to do anything when applied to a wet canvas.

20200329_152500
Trying to get them both to look at me for a photo was impossible
20200329_152500(0)
At least their tails are fluffy?
20200329_193652
So when taken one at a time, here is Qdle
AdobeLightroom
And here's Staniel - looking so damn good for almost-19!

While temporary in nature, I loved having soft, clean horses for several days in a row. I couldn't stop petting them! So soft. So fluffy. And so much nicer to groom to release shedding hair!

Additionally, it was really confirming to see that when their remaining winter coats were flattened out by their baths, each of their weight/body condition scores was in a great place. Sure, it was a minor winter, but we've had a lot of those for years now and this is the best they've all looked coming out of winter in a very long time. Goes to show what quality forage-focused diet can do!

20200329_152749
And this turd
20200329_152804
Still stained, but a clean stained! And whatever, all of that hair is gonna shed out this month, so I can't be too bothered to make him pretty right now.

I'm so excited for the warmer weather that is becoming more common as we settle more firmly into spring. More frequent baths will definitely be in the future for all of the horses.

20 comments:

  1. Griffin! Rude child! Be nice to your mother!

    I was thinking how awesome they look this winter. I wouldn't discount the riding in keeping them looking so good this year, too. Honestly the move home seems like it was amazing for the 4 of you. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so, so good.

      And yes. He is an increasingly rude child lately. In fact, yesterday I reverted to treating him as if he was 1½-2 instead of 9½. You act like a child, I treat you like one. Turd.

      Delete
  2. I find some horses just hate being groomed/clean. Subi? Yeah. I got him looking lovely the other day for his birthday and he went out and got himself as gross and possible. It's a losing battle. He doesn't like being groomed, thin skinned chestnut thoroughbred. Nay Nay likes being brushed (and likes rolling). Jiminy LOVES being groomed but will murder you in your sleep if you dare try and give him a bath...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL quite a cast of characters you have! So many vibrant personalities.

      Delete
  3. Spa days! I am dying to do that for my guys. It's definitely been warm enough, I've just lacked the motivation, but seeing this has inspired me. They all look fantastic coming out of winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. of course now that it is warm enough I am not going to the barn. Curses....But Piper the barn owner kid gave Remus a bath a week or so ago so at least he has had a bath?? I am glad you got to bathe all your horses and hahaha on Grif doing a see ya later on the front lawn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I wanna see Remus' dapples shining after a bath. Have Piper send photos!

      Delete
  5. I can't WAIT to give Iggs a bath. Like, might be more excited for that than to ride haha. Stan, you're such a pretty red pony!

    And yes! to the EquiFuse. OMG so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They all look great! My horse is in some serious need of a mane trim and face trim but I haven't found the time (nor the clippers!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so desperate to bathe my two. I cleaned tack yesterday and part of me was wondering what the point was. :) There's so much satisfaction in getting rid of Winter's grunge. At least it's spring dirt.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, go you cleaning tack! Getting rid of winter's grunge is kinda the greatest.

      Delete
  8. I actually got up to the barn last week and all the horses are fuzzy looking while shedding out their winter coats except for mine. She's already blown it all! Whenever I get on two feet again, I need to give her a good scrub down. She's definitely a Pigpen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NICE. How awesome that she's already shed that pesky hair. Definite win. Wish my three were done already lol

      Delete
  9. That first spring spa day is the best! Even if Grif was a brat! It is still just a bit too cool here to bath, but with all of my time at home (the horses are at home too) I'm shedding and clipping and trimming as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon, soon they'll all be free of these pesky long winter coats!

      Delete
  10. Is it just coincidence, or just my lifetime of being cursed, that the greys want to be filthy, and the browns disdain being mucky? Please. I hear you when you say you can finally enjoy TOUCHING your horse again. A crusty mud shield is no fun for human hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU UNDERSTAND! A crusty mud shield is no fun at all.

      Delete