Wednesday, September 23, 2026

East Fork Durbin Trails

Our BCHA chapter, where I serve as the VP, held one big organized ride this summer in early August. It presented a great opportunity for me to finally head south to a county I've recreated in, but not often on a horse and never on the trails we'd be riding. It was also a great time to visit with riders from across the state that I rarely see. 

We met at the East Fork Campground in Durbin, WV. This campground is run and owned by one of our members and is a fabulous spot for equestrians seeking to trail ride. They're located along a river right by a rail trail. The rail trail provides access to countless other trails on the Monongahela Nat'l Forest. The campground boasts several dozen stalls, a few small paddocks, a wash rack, camping spots with hook ups, and a few small "cabins" (read: fancified sheds). The small town of Durbin is easy walking distance and has several small coffee shops and restaurants. If you and yours are looking for an equestrian weekend getaway location in the West Virginia mountains, I recommend considering East Fork Campground!

Once everyone was tacked and mounted, our group of 17 headed out for a 4+ hour ride that covered about 14 miles. It was a gorgeous ride through mountainous forest areas. We traversed through mature mesic and xeric forests and spent some time along a section of the Greenbrier River. We began on the rail trail and then took a connector trail to access several other trails in the system. I paid attention in the moment, but largely just enjoyed being present. It's not often I ride as a participant and not a leader these past few years; I really enjoyed not having any responsibility! As a result, I can't really tell you which trails we went on. However, if anyone is curious, leave a comment and I'll find out!

Screenshot 2026-09-16 110846

The beginning of this ride is when I met K, whom I mentioned in my last post. We struck up easy conversation from the get-go. We rode in close proximity to one another the whole day and became fast friends by the end, making plans for more riding adventures into the autumn months. 

The final miles of this ride traversed a trail that BCHA and USFS folks put a lot of work into this past spring. They turned a single track trail barely scratched into the slope of the mountain into trail that was level and switchbacked all the way from top to bottom. It's glorious. I wish it was reasonable (and feasible) to do that kind of trailwork elsewhere on the Mon! 

The very last mile or two of this ride were back on the rail trail. K and I took this opportunity to part from the group for a lovely hand gallop. Gah, it's been forever since I enjoyed a pace like that on trail! What a delight. Grif was so game and happy zooming alongside K's little RMH mare. 

All in all, it was a perfect day of riding. I haven't ridden in a large group in a number of years; riding with these folks made for an easy going day. Everyone is familiar with traveling over that kind of terrain with their animals, was very polite, and all of the equines were calm and well-behaved.

20260808_100012
Mounted and ready to go
20260808_100213
Crossing the railroad tracks into "downtown" Durbin. We'd traverse along the back streets to the rail trail. 
20260808_103650
Leaving the rail trial to head onto single track trails.
20260808_123337
Gorgeous mature forest with open, ferny understory
20260808_130156
We had some rain for about 10 minutes
20260808_132107
My disgusting grey animal. I miss having a hose/wash rack at home. 
20260808_142626
20260808_143120
Look at this super highway of a trail thanks to the work in the spring!
20260808_143201
I couldn't get over how much work they'd done on this
20260808_143640
So glorious
20260808_145448
K and Josie in the river. And a dragonfly cameo.
20260808_145626
This little mare is still learning to like water
20260808_145630

Messenger_creation_2EF51DD1-0ABA-49CE-ACFA-2BE50795ABC6 (1)
My very good 16 year old boy. Cannot believe he's so old now! We've spent 14½ of those years together. 

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh.... *notes potential new camping spot*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I can send you lots of photos of the horse accommodations if you want! Also, K is happy to be a trail guide for you. She is so fun.

      Delete