Sunday, June 24, 2012

Packing, Decker-style

The Decker system of pack saddles was developed in the early 1900s in north-central Idaho.  Prior to Decker packing there was the sawbuck method.  The Decker system brings more durability, versatility, and a greater humane nature for the animal because it can be packed more balanced.  The system is fully adjustable for different sized animals and allows for loads to be more dynamic so the animals can breathe easier.

© Liz Stout

© Liz Stout


A pack animal should be able to optimally carry a fifth of their body weight.  Because the Decker system is so versatile many things can be packed.  Bob has designed many different boxes that fit different tools (chainsaws, axes, etc.), propane tanks, and other oddities.  Paniers allow gravel and mulch to be packed which aids in the building and reinforcement of trails.  Additionally, lumber can be packed with the aid of a lumber bunk to the saddle.  Bob has also packed a multitude of strange items like wheelbarrows, galvanized steel tubs, and even coolers of trout to be packed to the headwaters of a trout stream.

© Liz Stout

© Liz Stout
© Liz Stout


Once a saddle has been fitted to the animal in question, loads must be assembled in a balanced fashion.  From there, a 7' x 8' untreated canvas sheet (manty) is used to wrap up the loads and is secured with a rope that has an eyesplice at one end and a backsplice at the other.  Once loads are mantied up and tied, they can then be tied to the saddle with a basket, barrel, or box hitch.

© Liz Stout

© Liz Stout


It all sounds pretty daunting, but its really not too bad.  Its definitely something that requires a bit of time and a lot of hands-on learning.

I'm a bit of a neat-freak so when I folded my manties I was rather anal about how they had to be.  Bob can fold one up in 1m:27s - but he's been doing it for 42 years, so its only to be expected.  I think I did mine in 4m:16s when I had to "race".  I don't really care how fast I do it as long as I do it right.  I know I will get faster with time.

© Liz Stout
© Liz Stout


Monday morning - Wednesday will be the real test of knowledge as we pack up 8 animals to head into the backcountry.  I'm very excited.  Lots of interesting photos to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment