Thursday, January 26, 2012

Having what you want


Beginning in November I decided I would try to go 3 – if not more – months without buying myself new clothes.  I’m such a stickler for sales that I often “give-in” and will buy stuff even if I don’t need it.  I realized today that my 3 months is nearly up!  There were a couple times when I thought I would just get something, but I resisted, and I’m glad I did.

With the possibility of moving hours and states away for a potential job opportunity in the next year, I’ve been on a quest to organize and downsize a lot of my stuff where I could.  I loathe moving.  It causes disorganization which irks my liver on a whole different level.  My quest to not buy clothes for 3 months has led to the pursuit of consuming any and all consumable products I possess, finding the most efficient and inexpensive ways to organize my closet, desk, bathroom, LIFE. 

I love to clean and organize, if that makes me weird, then so be it!

I’m tempted to see if I can go another month without more clothes.  I’ve enjoyed this experience and I have started to teach myself how to accessorize a lot more than I once did.  I make jewelry and do a lot of knitting, so I’ve crafted myself bunches of little accessories in the past few months.  My collection of earrings that was once only 5 or 6 pairs has grown to probably 36.  (I might have a problem, but I’m okay with that.)  I have bought a pair of boots (riding) in this time, but other than that, nada.  (Wait, wait, I forgot that whole Christmas thing, I got a jacket, a shirt and a pair of socks.  But, I feel that gifts shouldn’t count as often you don’t have control over that sort of thing.)

I’ve really learned that I have all I need, though I’m sure I’ll end up getting something more “in style” with the upcoming spring fashions and sales on winter items.  All the same, its nice to always be able to find something appropriate and not have to spend more money in the process!!

I challenge you to try this out, too.  You never know what fun things you’ll end up pulling together – or what else you’ll be able to do with saved money!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you went so long without buying yourself clothes. I work at a local mall and can't help but shop. I need to stop too.

    ReplyDelete