Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Throwback...

The title of this post has multiple meanings...


The first of which...

is to say that after throwing my back out around the writing of my last post, I'm happy to report that it's finally feeling up to snuff again! I'm still not using my standing desk at work (long periods of standing still aren't the easiest), but I am able to move, walk, ride, and do barn chores without issue again. Muscle relaxants are AMAZING. And acupuncture helped relax all of the other parts of my back so that the area of acute damage could heal more easily. It feels SO FREEING to be able to go about my normal routine again!

The second of which...

is to finally report on the chiropractor visit the horses had in July! Because ultimately this blog is a chronological journey of my time with horses and being able to look back on these details is beneficial.

In fact, the chiropractor visit precipitated me bringing the horses home for good. Progress with the barn was NOT moving at the pace Dave or I had anticipated, so I put off bringing them home. But then local friends scheduled the chiropractor and I figured, what the heck. It would be infinitely easier to Do The Things if the horses were home.

FB_IMG_1571962440606
Photos have nothing to do with the post, but I finally got around to editing (some of) my personal images from autumn
This is the classic Lindy Point view of Blackwater Canyon

I brought Q home a day or two before the boys, and ultimately trailered the boys straight to the barn where the chiro would be. I then went to immediately fetch Q, who was pleasantly surprised to find Grif and Stan at the end of her short trailer ride!

The chiropractor was from the western side of the state. He was really straight forward and happy to tell us as much as we wanted to know about what he was doing, and he was good about narrating each step. I wish I'd written things up more in-depth right after to capture more of his thoughts, but c'est la vie.

I let him know that minus Q's May 50 at the Biltmore, all horses had pretty much been out of work for most of the year and Q had done jack-diddly since May. Ultimately, what he'd be seeing in them would be whatever their natural baseline was from their turnout situation.

FB_IMG_1571962451474
Blackwater Canyon from a different viewpoint at Lindy

I'm happy to report that none of them had any serious issues at all! I mean, I suspected as much, but still, it was nice to have that confirmation and to learn a bit about each horse's natural state.

Griffin was up first. The chiropractor did a quick evaluation and found that he was out in his poll, C2, 3, and 4 on the right side, and the left side of his pelvis. With some quick minor adjustments to all, he was much less reactive and walked off a bit freer than he had moments before.

Stan was second. I noted right off the bat that he was parrot-mouthed and had some minor pigeon toeing of his forelegs, knowing that these might play into any "offness" he may have. The chiropractor quickly evaluated him and found that he was slightly out in his wither and topline, but was otherwise good. That was great to hear since Stan had done the least of any of my horses up to that point in the year! A couple of quick adjustments and the old man was done.

Finally, it was Q's turn. I shared briefly about the vettings at Biltmore as the chiropractor evaluated her. Of all of my horses, Q reacted the most dramatically to his palpation, especially around her poll. Finishing his evaluation, he noted that she was out in her poll, the left side of her neck, her withers, topline, and back end of pelvis. By the time he was done adjusting her, she didn't react at all when he palpated areas that had been sensitive moments before.

FB_IMG_1572050328996
Looking over Randolph County from Middle Mountain

The biggest recommendation he had for me following my horses' adjustments was to use liniment before and after my rides to help keep their backs freer under saddle. I hadn't heard the recommendation to use it prior to my rides - and honestly haven't been great about remembering to do it - but I have given it a go a few times. I can't report any crazy differences to this point, but who knows?

I also haven't noticed any huge monumental changes in my horses' ways of going since the visit. Although, I will say Q seems a bit more comfortable in her body when I interact with her from the ground. Having just had my neck adjusted pretty dramatically by the human chiropractor a couple weeks ago, I can relate!

Since our July visit, the chiropractor has returned to Canaan monthly. I haven't fussed with getting my horses adjusted again because I haven't been riding with great frequency or noticed any of them acting as if they have any problems. All the same, it's nice to know he's here so often for others for if/when I want to have any of the horses adjusted again.

8 comments:

  1. Its always good news to be told the horses are doing well. I'm glad you got your own back sorted out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nice thing about horses is they hold adjustments way better than people

    Spicy sees the chiro every 8-12 weeks although it's been about a month and I kinda think hes already out due to the kind of work we're doing. She mostly has to adjust his hips which he hates but I love because it allows us to pick up the right lead canter... ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is good information! Thank you - I had wondered how frequently people had horses adjusted. I personally only see my chiropractor when I am feeling off, which ends up being 4-5x a year.

      Delete
  3. Interesting about the liniment - I'd be curious to know how it works out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly isn't hurting things and the horses seem happy 🤷‍♀️

      Delete
  4. I’ve been wondering about Carmen and her poll. She carries so much tension there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had several people note Qs tension there as well and wasn't too surprised when he found it! She has also always been resistant going left (and Grif to the right) so I thought it was interesting that each of them was off on their representative "hard" side.

      Delete
  5. liniment!! Back in the day we did this (as a kid growing up at the barn I lessoned at) and it just rang a bell when you said it in your post. Wow. Can't hurt for sure. I need to find a chiropractor around here for Remus would like to start with that first.

    Glad your back is better now too!

    ReplyDelete