Tuesday, June 2, 2020

In Support of Black Lives Matter

I will resume more "regular" posts next week or so. Right now, I'm taking time on this platform to extend my support to the Black Lives Matter movement, and I'm taking time I could spend writing to continue educating myself and doing what I can to support this movement.

I'm also opting to link you over to Davida's blog and share some of her words on this matter here. She put together a really great list of resources that white people can utilize. 

: : : : : :



"I have to start by saying that I feel uncomfortable. I feel uncomfortable that I will say the wrong thing. I feel uncomfortable that I haven’t said something already. I feel uncomfortable…nay outraged… that a Black Man was murdered by a Minneapolis Police Officer (with the silent compliancy of several others) in cold blood. I feel uncomfortable that despite this not being the first case of police brutality in this country that it took me this long to say something. I feel uncomfortable that despite not engaging in racist activities I have benefited from a system based on a foundation of racial inequality at the expense of Black lives. I feel uncomfortable. I feel sad. I feel angry. And I recognize that my emotions pale in comparison to those of Black Americans who face injustice every single day. I may be uncomfortable but I will show up in spite of this discomfort because it’s a privilege to feel uncomfortable. This is not about me or my discomfort.
If you’re a white person, you may have heard the phrase “do the work”. If you were like me you don’t fully understand what that means or where to start… until you actually step in and do the work. Then it starts to make sense. Doing your own work means diving into some tough questions and reflections. It means uncovering that you may be compliant with racism without overtly engaging in it. It means listening to Black voices and reflecting and understanding. It means accepting criticism when you mess up. Because you will." - Davida Lederle

 

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post - I can relate to the feeling of discomfort and sadness... I simply don't know WHAT to say or how to say it. Seeing all of these blogs reach out and formulate words has helped me "say" how I feel because I'm currently struggling with what I, as a white person, need to do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting - its not enough anymore for white people to not be racist. It's time for them to be vehemently anti-racist. Speaking up is the first step - the rest of us (POC - I am one) notice those who stay silent, even if they are staying silent out of fear. It is better to be an imperfect ally, than waiting to be a perfect one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with this - I will stop being not racist and become anti-racist.

      Delete
  3. I just got time to read this - she and I are feeling really similarly right now! Thanks for the link, it's good food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent and timely post. We were discussing similar last night. Without getting into details I applied for a job that would involve using my existing skillset with gis analysis and assisting a specific community. We had a bit of a disagreement because the person felt it wasn't my place as a white person to apply for that job with that organization. I think we all need to offer what we can and educate ourselves as best we can. Strongly agree staying silent or simply feeling you're non racist is not enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's so important that this discourse is happening now and people are having these conversations and sharing their experiences specifically in relation to action steps

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember when you told me I was overreacting to this presidency? This was one of the many, many, many things I foresaw. I'm glad you're trying to be more empathetic to this situation. - a brown person

    ReplyDelete