Thursday, March 1, 2012

Nat'l Ski Patrol

There were a TON of us out this past weekend because my candidate class was doing phase II testing and we needed loads of patrollers to be testers, patients, and patrollers.  Nearly the entire staff (pro and volunteer) were there.

Saturday was BEYOND stressful for me.  First aid testing scenarios on the hill ... in a mother flippin' blizzard.  Cold, cold, cold.  Wind, wind, wind.  Snow, snow snow.  Normally I would whoop and cheer over this, but having to STAND AROUND in it ALL DAY changes one's opinion of "good" weather quite quickly.  Sunday was a bluebird day for the ski and toboggan (where toboggan is a SLED not a HAT) test.

Sunday (obviously)
This is just over half way up the mountain.
I had to walk/climb to the trees in the dead center of the photo.
Photo: Linda Smith

My scenarios on Saturday went fairly well.  I made one crucial - or so I thought - mistake that I thought should have failed me and began royally freaking out afterwards.  It was such a long, stressful day.  I had a wicked headache by the end.  Up at 5:30a, on the mountain in the cold from 8a - 4:45p, then sitting around waiting to "hear the news" from 4:45p - 5:15p.  I just wanted to sleep.  I didn't care about my results.  I was so exhausted.  But finding out wasn't an option.

They called me into the office second.  The two directors, the paramedic guru, and my instructor were lined up.
Paramedic: "How do you think you did?"
Me: "Mostly good."
P: "What part are you concerned about?"
Me: blah-blah-blah long-winded explanation that no one in the blogosphere cares about involving me not putting someone at the head when c-spine and spine were clear blah-blah-blah
P: "Well, it was meant to be an isolated injury, so while you should be certain to do it in the future, it wasn't an issue for this scenario.  *dramatic pause*  You passed all your scenarios.  Congratulations."
All break into grins and give me hand shakes, hugs, etc.
I cry.

End scene.

Sunday's ski and toboggan skills didn't worry me at all.  They were more fun than stressful.  I was confident in my abilities and had nothing to fear.  And,  I passed.  So what better to reward a sum total of 7 months of hard training with?  Climbing up the mountain with my skis on logically!  Right of passage.

With Kate pre-climb.

I didn't have to climb the WHOLE thing.  Just 80% of it.  Fortunately some friends were there that day with kick-wax.  They let me use it and the whole ordeal was rather painless.  I climbed in 27 minutes.  Would have taken me at least twice as long without the kick-wax.  I did get a wicked sunburn on my face though.  A large number of the patrol heckled me as I went.  Snowball throwing, water bottle giving, sunscreening (too late), and picture taking.  As I stabbed my pole into the end-point I got lots more hugs and congratulations. Pretty good feeling after burning a bajillion calories.

Getting a handshake and a hug from my instructor
Photo: Kate Hall
Climbing the rest of the way
Photo: Kate Hall
Photo: Kate Hall
Wiping the sweat
Photo: Kate Hall
Made it!
Photo: Kate Hall

Being lazy post-climb. I'm in the green.
Photo: Linda Smith

Its been a super fun and super challenging journey getting to this point.  But accomplishment feels good.  My childhood dream (one of them anyway) has been fulfilled, and another swipe off my 30 before 30 list is accomplished.  Success is a sweet, sweet nectar.

1 comment:

  1. WahHooo!!!! Good on ya! Dare I ask - where in the world is a toboggan a hat?