Monday, June 3, 2013

Griffin: Fawn-stomper

I have a post per Griffin's first away-from-farm ride coming later tonight or tomorrow, but in the mean time I want to share this story from my BO from this morning:

When I took Keely for her 6:30am walk the horses were at the fence and all was well. At 7am, I went to the kitchen and looked out the window - they were all clustered together and focusing HARD (ears pricked, necks arched, tails up) on the ground. At first I thought it must be a snake but then realized it was too cold for snakes. They'd focus on the ground then look up towards the road - I suspect the mom was vocalizing. They started pawing the ground, etc ... about that time I figured it must be a fawn. Just when I made that conclusion, Griffin reared up into the air and came down hard with both front feet. I high-tailed it out there and indeed, it was a little fawn.....all was well (no broken bones -that I could feel-, breathing/heartbeat steady, no bleeding). I ran the horses off and left it alone. I'll go back out after a while and make sure mom collected it.
 

Who would guess that horses would react that way? National Geographic moment on a Monday...... never dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment