Saturday, August 24, 2013

Bareback Jumping

It was so impromptu.  I wasn't even going to get the horses out on this evening. I was going to get what I needed for the Virginia Highlands ride and be on my merry way.

But my mom wanted to see the horses.

Happy to share, I pulled them from the field. She groomed them while I gathered my stuff.

She hadn't seen the new jumps yet either. So I decided, Okay, Q and I will show you the new jumps.

I was in tennis shoes. Shorts. A tank top. I didn't even have my helmet with me but there was one at the barn.
Q was just in a side-pull halter. I added reins to that and called it good.

I vaulted up bareback and we headed over to the jumps.

"Trot." She trotted. I applied a little pressure to the halter and put my leg on her. She circled neatly. Again and again.

And then we did the small crossrail. No problem.

Again.  No problem.

Again and again. Still no issues.

On to the 2'6" vertical. No problem. 

Again and again. No problem.

I had my mom film us. 



Q was so, so, so good.

I think I want to try more of this bareback jumping with her - with the side pull, too. Perhaps I'll even test the idea of bridleless.

Spontaneity can be so fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment